Friday, June 10, 2011

This is old news, but for history's sake I will put it in writing.....

We are moving to Utah!!

(I wrote this before we moved but never posted it)

I like to think that I deal with change well. I've always been the fairly laid-back, go with the flow kinda girl. When I plan on spaghetti for dinner but then realize I have no ground beef in my fridge, I try shredded chicken instead. (Ew.) Or when I go to the pool with friends but forget half of my swim suit, I stop and buy the cheapest one I can find whether it matches or not.

But when my whole world changes in a matter of 3 days, I think I'm entitled to a slight meltdown, yes?

About 2 months ago we put an offer on a house that we were very excited about. It was a short sale, and we were warned it would probably take months to hear anything. I was patient, but eager for an answer. In the meantime, Kyle's boss/good friend/mentor/reason he loved the office left the company, leaving Kyle wondering if he wanted to stay. Realizing it would give us time to make a decision, we decided the waiting process on our house would be a good thing. Surely we wouldn't hear back in just four weeks.

Wrong.

Our realtor called the very next day with "good news" that the bank had accepted our offer. We had to tell her we weren't sure if we wanted it any more, leaving her waiting on us instead.
Our goal has been to move back near family when the opportunity arises, so we decided we better take action. Kyle called the Merrill Lynch office in Salt Lake and asked if he would be able to transfer. They had him fly there a week later to interview. Kyle's family thought he was just there for an appointment, so it was fun to call them later and surprise them with the good news. It is also fun to see my husband so excited. I want him to be happy, and this is definitely where he will be happiest. Don't get me wrong, I am excited! But I'm also overwhelmed. In the same week we turned down the house (really not a big deal, just stressful) and decided to pursue a move to Utah, we found out that my dad's cancer was probably back. That was devastating in itself, but what made it worse was that we didn't know where it was located or how bad. Between that bad news, and packing up and leaving a job, town, and friends that I have come to really love, poor Kyle has had to deal with a pretty emotional wife these last few weeks. I may have had to leave church early one day because I couldn't stop bawling....

As for my dad we finally have results. The cancer is back in his liver, where it was the last time. Although we were hoping for better news, it could have been much worse. We are grateful it is localized in his liver and it looks like they are able to operate. His surgery is set for July 1st at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. I am flying there the 28th and then will be driving to MI with them after. We are praying that the surgery will go well and that they will be able to remove all of it.

As for leaving Cali.....I'm not sure yet how that's going to happen. You know when people ask you what kind of super power you would choose? I used to say that I would want to be able to eat whatever I want without gaining weight. But I have a new one. I wish I could live in three places at once.

:( :(

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear that everything was so hard for you!! I think it's pretty understandable though - I would have had a meltdown too!

    When are you going to be in Michigan then??

    ReplyDelete