Sunday, July 11, 2010

Sundays

As you can probably tell, blogging doesn't come easily for me. You could say I'm lazy, or that I just find other things to do with my time. And time is something I do have plenty of, so I can't use that as an excuse. Anyways, I suddenly felt like blogging just now, so I thought I better post something before my mood changes. And I suppose I should start posting things other than our trips we go on. Since I haven't been so great at journaling and this is the next best thing, maybe I should write about the little everyday things.

I've always loved Sundays. Not only because of church, but because it's the one day of the week that is completely spent with loved ones. Growing up we came home from church and had a late lunch (usually pancakes-sometimes mom would suggest something nicer but we would opt for pancakes) and then just spend the day being lazy. It would almost always end with us all in the living room watching a movie together. In college it was the same-my roommates and I would usually eat together after church. Sometimes we'd plan a meal together, but usually it ended up a shmorgishborg (sp? I actually googled the word to find the right spelling and this is what it showed but I don't know...) with random food that we each contributed from our own cupboards and parts of the refrigerator. And after naps, or visiting family, or hanging with boys, etc, we'd usually end up in the living room together, if only for a few minutes to catch up from the day. While I love Sundays just as much as I did before, they've actually become more eventful and not as relaxing as they were before it was just Kyle and I. We've been so lucky to move into such a friendly ward and make so many friends. Every Sunday is spent with at least one or two families. We usually do dinner with a family and then spend the evenings with Cody and Laura playing games. Sometimes it's hard to be away from family but we're grateful to have such great friends here and to truly feel at home even when our family is so far away.
We invited the sweetest man from our ward over for dinner tonight. His name is Stanley and he's an 83 year old African American that looks and acts about 70. I love him. He was a Jehovah's Witness and joined our church just a few months ago after the missionaries knocked on his door and started teaching him. He literally has a twinkle in his eye and his happiness is contagious. He has 10 children and we learned tonight that he has 159 grandchildren (including great and great-great). He enlisted in WWII in 1945, lying that he was 18 when he was really 16. He said they didn't find out until he was being released 4 years later and they saw on his birth certificate that he was born in 29. He had us laughing so much.

The rest of this night is going to end with a movie like old times. We love playing games with Cody and Laura but it's been a busy weekend and we're both ready to just relax. I just love hanging with my hubby. Even when we're 83 like Stanley, I'm going to love relaxing with him on Sundays. I hope we have lots and lots of grandchildren to play with also. Kyle had a meeting at church tonight and before he left he told me, "You can pick out any movie you want and we'll watch it when I get back." I stared at him with my mouth hanging open (I'm sure I've mentioned how he feels about chick flicks-words like that do NOT come out of his mouth.) Then, as he's walking out the door, "But it comes with parameters. I was like, "What does that mean?" He answered, "I'll have to see what movie it is first."

5 comments:

  1. LOL That is what it is all about, give and take. So what movie did you pick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. City of Angels! :) I haven't seen it in years and have been wanting to watch it again. I was going to be nice and pick something else but thought I'd take advantage. I was tempted to make him watch the Notebook. City of Angels isn't as Chick Flicky as I thought it would be. I think he enjoyed it though he would never admit it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dad told me about the man you had for dinner. That's really neat. He sounds like a sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol.......the man you had OVER for dinner that is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL to Kyle's generous offer to let you pick the movie, and then adding that he has to approve. Isn't that kind of a contradiction? :) I haven't seen that movie in years either! Also lol to Mom's typo!

    Skyler loved seeing pictures of herself on your blog. We miss seeing you guys so much already.

    ReplyDelete