Thursday, August 26, 2010

Update

Kyle starts his student teaching next week! He has had meetings all day this week so the"madness" has begun. He's been getting up at 5:30 in order to make it to the gym, come home from work and make phone calls, etc. for work, is at the school from 8-3, then works until 8 or 9. On top of that, he has 2 online classes and will have lessons to plan for teaching. I'm not sure when or how he's going to do that, but he never ceases to amaze me with his productiveness. Is that a word?

I have been quite the opposite. Besides not having a lot of appointments at work, I've been really fatigued. Those that are sick of hearing me talk about it can skip this paragraph. I feel like I haven't been the same since I had mono in December. I used to be somewhat like Kyle-I was pretty productive and I rarely just sat around. I think I wore my parents out when I was in high school because I was constantly busy and always on the go. When I was living in Provo I worked 40 hours a week, and for a year was working 45 or 50 and would spend my spare time cleaning or doing something fairly active. It's frustrating for me to have changed, I feel like a different person because I don't have the energy I used to have. A couple months ago it got a lot worse, to the point where I had to fight to stay awake every time I got in the car, and I could no longer finish my aerobics classes at the gym or at least without taking a few breaks. A couple times I even started blacking out and had to sit down. I finally went to a doctor (it took me a while to get a good recommendation) and he ordered blood work to check my thyroid, liver, iron, and blood sugar. Everything came back normal, which made me more frustrated because I was hoping for an answer. I went back and he decided he wanted me to go to a sleep study. He thinks I could have sleep apnea. He had mentioned it before, and said if my labs came back normal this was his next guess. He also ordered more blood work to test for pregnancy (this was my idea-everyone here thinks I'm pregnant because of how I've been feeling and I wanted to be able to tell them I'm not, once and for all) and also Epstein-Barr Virus. This is something a couple people have that I know and their symptoms seemed to match mine. I had thought it was something you can get from having mono, but the research I've been doing says that EBV can cause mono. When I went back to the doctor a third time, he told me I did test positive for it, but that it's dormant. He seemed to think it could still explain why I've been feeling the way I have because that often causes Chronic fatigue syndrome and he thinks it's likely that I have that. But he still wants me to go to the sleep study place. Anyway, long story short, I'm confused because I don't really understand what is wrong with me or how to help it. My doctor said to take it easy at the gym and gradually try to build to where I was before. Even just walking on the treadmill wipes me out so it's easy to follow orders to take it easy. The problem is, I don't have energy at work and I definitely don't have energy by the time I get home and the last thing I want is for Kyle to have to worry about cleaning when he has enough on his plate. I don't like people worrying about me, and I don't like asking for prayers for myself, but I could use them right now.

On a brighter note, Cancun was amazing!! We had a blast and I'm going to post pictures eventually. We have so many and I want to figure out how to make collages so that my post isn't 15 pages long. So until then....

3 comments:

  1. I wish I lived closer, so I could help you out till you're feeling better! I'm sorry you're going through this. Love ya lots.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cousin had mono right after she got married and ended up finding out after she went through what you have that she had Barr-Epstein too. She felt like you for a long time, but seems to be doing great now. If you want I can give you her e-mail or phone number so you could talk to her about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I you were closer too! I would love to help you out! Can't wait to see you next weekend! LoveME

    ReplyDelete