Monday, August 30, 2010

Warning: Very long post ahead

I still haven't figured out how to make picture collages but I'm not going to let that stop me from posting all of our pictures to Cancun- they're just too good. So ready or not, here they come....

We had a 6 hour layover in Mexico City and we passed the time by playing our favorite game-Settlers of Catan. (Ours is actually a different version-Settlers of Zarahemla)


For some reason when we arrived at our resort, they didn't have us coming for two more days. Luckily our papers showed otherwise, and they sent us to another resort that we think was even nicer. We got there late and went right to bed but when we woke up the next morning and walked out of our building and were directly on the BEACH we realized we were in paradise. I couldn't have been more excited about the beautiful scene around me.





One day the it clouded over and rained for about 3 minutes and then cleared up again




None of the pictures do it justice. The restaurants all had really pretty views


Even the hotel lobby was pretty






We spent most of our time lounging by the many pools (I think there were 5) and on the beach. There were swim up bars in the pools where I enjoyed many diet pepsi's, and Kyle fell in love with the virgin Miami Vice. (A strawberry and pina colada daiquiri) There were also snack bars with hamburgers and fries and at least 10 restaurants that we could choose from for each meal. With our black "all-you-can-eat-for-free" wristbands, we were set for the week. We found that the buffets weren't delicious, but the rest were great. We could order as much food as we wanted, including appetizers and desserts. It was great not having to wait for a bill or worry about a tip. My favorites were the Thai, Mexican, and Italian restaurants. Kyle made sure to order a couple Miami Vice's almost everywhere we went and I'm pretty sure that's what made him sick all week. Let just say, we didn't do any exercising while we were gone, but a part of Kyle kept running.
Should I order another daiquiri...
No I shouldn't have.....
There were mariachi players at the Mexican restaurant
Kyle requested a song and they serenaded us


One day we took a short snorkeling trip that we were really excited about. We've both had really cool experiences in the past so we had high expectations. But we weren't able to explore on our own because we had a "guide" that insisted we follow him. And maybe it happened to be a bad day, because there wasn't a lot see. It was still fun though, and on the boat ride back one of the guides put these hats on us and offered to take a picture.

We spent one day on a tour to Chichen Itza and that was probably our favorite part. We left in the morning and came back in the evening so we were able to see a lot. On our way we stopped at the Yucatan Cenote, which is a really cool cave with fresh water that we were able to swim in. It was considered magical to the Mayans. The trip included lunch at a Mexican Restaurant and after that we went to Chichen Itza. We welcomed the rain that started as soon as we stepped off the bus because the temperature must have cooled 20 degrees. AND we heard thunder for the first time since.....I don't even remember! We haven't had a thunderstorm in Cali yet. Another night at our resort we sat outside and watched a lightening storm. The waves were so loud next to us that we couldn't hear the thunder.






This Mayan girl sang to us. She was so sweet. She was selling little handmade hankerchiefs and I had to buy one from her.










Looking down from the top

There was a different show every night at our resort and we went to the Circus show which was seriously fascinating. There were amazing acrobats, a juggler, a poodle dog that did really cool tricks, a Michael Jackson impersonator (random? yes.) and a hoola hooper that had 4 going at a time and picked them up off the floor with her feet. It was crazy and I loved every minute of it. After that Kyle suggested we stop at the dance club and see what was going on. We found the dance floor empty and my husband surprised me by asking if I wanted to dance...not slow dance, but dance dance, by ourselves with everyone watching. I couldn't turn down an opportunity like that, mostly because I wanted to watch him. I haven't seen him dance for like 2 years back before we even started dating. And he didn't want to stop! I had fun for a few minutes and then truly starting getting embarrassed when nobody would join us. That was our goal, of course. I snapped this blurry picture before I pulled him away. It's something I hope to always remember.




They say all good things eventually come to an end, which of course was true for this trip and I was a little depressed coming home. I loved spending so much time with Kyle and I knew coming home meant he would be starting his busy life with student teaching, work, and school. I'm so glad that we were able to celebrate our marriage by going on such an amazing trip together and to experience another part of this beautiful world we live in. And I'm extremely grateful that unlike our trip, our marriage will last an eternity.

6 comments:

  1. Love the pictures! Looks and sounds like an amazing time. I wanna go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol......I was going to say the same thing, Gail. I wanna go!

    Looks like paradise! I'm glad you were able to have such a great time. Loved the story about dancing on the empty floor! I wonder if Dad would do that if I took him to a foreign country? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to go too!! Can I go? Can I go??? Lol...

    I also enjoyed the dance floor store - Kyle just seems better and better the more you talk about him :) At some point, I'm wondering if you wouldn't mind telling me how much you guys spent on this all-inclusive trip? The free meals thing sounds amazing! It seems like those extra costs always seem to make the trip a lot more expensive...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Settlers of Zarahemla? You are SO Mormon!! We love Settlers too. Your trip looks A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. That water is just so blue. WE definitely have to take a girls' or couples' trip there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sign me up as well. I'm totally serious. That cave/waterfall thing where you went swimming looks awesome. Loved the story about the dance floor and your captions for him trying to decide if he should order another drink. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am ready to trade in the cruise! Lets all sign up and go together!!

    ReplyDelete