Saturday, January 16, 2010

Update

Sorry it's been so long, we have been busy settling in and planning our reception since we moved here. But now we have more free time. I'm about to go lounge on our patio in the 75 degree weather. I work Tuesdays-Saturdays and have Sunday and Mondays off. Work is going well, for those who don't know I'm working at an Aveda salon/spa in Redlands which is 15 minutes from here. I'm doing massage therapy whenever I get appts, and also working the front desk part time. I don't have as many client as I would like yet, but it's already picking up and I really enjoy working there. Kyle is doing really well selling insurance. The company gives them a goal they'd like to see them reach, and Kyle's been hitting that every week and sometimes doing even better. I love seeing him at the end of every day. Usually I am home before him and have dinner ready, but the other day he got home first and he told me he could have dinner ready. I came home to find the table set and looking all pretty, with fried chicken and mashed potatoes and gravy on the table. I asked how he made the gravy and he said from one of my packets. I've never bought a gravy packet in my life. Then came the biscuits and he said, "I knew this would give it away so I saved it for last." He is always making me laugh.

A few weeks ago we went to Newport Beach, which was my first beach experience in California. I'll be the first to admit it wasn't the perfect beach day. It was only 67ish, and it was windy and a little chilly near the water. But it was BEAUTIFUL nonetheless, and it reminded me of home. It still amazes me how much Lake Michigan is like the ocean. I still prefer it to the ocean, since there is no salt water. If only Michigan had palm trees. I'm excited to go back. The next time will probably be when my mom, dad, and brother come visit in a few weeks!

We've experienced a couple earthquakes so far. The first one was around 3 in the morning and I jolted awake to our apartment shaking like crazy. Apparently it was a 4.3 on the Richter scale, which isn't too tiny. The one in Haiti was a 7. Somehow Kyle slept through that one, but we both felt another one a couple days ago. I was at work giving a massage- definitely a first for me. My client didn't even bat an eye. They don't really phase people around here. They just last a few seconds, as soon as you realize what's going on they're over. Let's hope they stay that way.

Our reception was a lot of fun and went nice and smoothly. I definitely could not have done it without the help of my new family. Kyle's sister-in-law did our table centerpieces and she did a great job, they were fabulous. Kyle's mom did almost everything else, she was so great. She should go into the wedding planning business.We rented an ice cream machine which went over well. So well that most people didn't take cake, we had 5 left! My mother-in-law even had ice cream toppings that matched our colors. The magician was a huge hit. Kyle and I didn't watch him at all because we were in the receiving line the whole time, but everyone told us he was amazing. I will post pictures as soon as I have them.

We are going back to Utah this weekend because Kyle's brother, Wes is coming home from his mission. We are really excited to see him. I have never met him, and have never welcomed a missionary home at the airport so I'm excited for that.

1 comment:

  1. so I take it Kyle's dinner was KFC? :)

    I'm glad he makes you laugh......laughing together makes for a good marriage.

    You should tell everyone how Californians don't bat an eye at earthquakes, but they get pretty worked up about rain! I love that story. It's funny how we all get used to different things.

    ReplyDelete