Tuesday, January 5, 2010

YUCAIPA

So far this week my highlights have been meeting so many friendly people. We LOVE our ward, everyone is so nice. We were bombarded after sacrament meeting with people wanting to meet us and right away we were invited to a dinner party with a few other families, which we gladly accepted. We were surprised to find that Kyle knows a senior couple in our ward. They served in the Independence mission with Kyle a couple years ago, and they were thrilled to see him again. They had us over for dinner last night and we had a good time. We stayed and talked for a long time, and they shared some amazing experiences they've had throughout their lives. I think we will be great friends with them. They gave us about three hugs before we left last night.

We bought memberships to a gym in Yucaipa and went for the first time this morning. They offer several classes, and I decided to try the beginner "sculpting" class which uses weights to work all different muscles in the body. The class was mostly full of women in their 60's and they surrounded me as soon as they heard I was new in town. You'd think it was a tiny town the way everyone reacts when they meet us, but supposedly the population is 100,000! But the ladies were so cute, everyone in the class knew each other and there was one lady in particular, Anna,who made sure I was introduced to every lady that walked in. There's really been no talking in the gym classes that I've been to in the past, unless the instructor is instructing. But this instructor was yelling over the music, talking to all 25 ladies like they were her best friends. After class Anna wanted to meet Kyle, and she wrote down her name and number for us in case we ever need anything. So sweet! It's interesting how different places can be. Provo has definitely been the friendliest place I've lived, but Yucaipa may have it beat. At Gold's Gym I saw the same people every day and none of them so much as asked my name. This morning the ladies wanted my life story!

Did I mention I love it here??

Now I just need to find a job!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad it's going so well! I had heard that the church members there really take care of new comers, but that's very cool about the gym. I'm sure the older ladies love having a sweet young thing like you to friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful! I'd love to go to California sometime, never been there. Maybe a sister's trip?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're thinking about going in March during Jeremy's Spring break, since we've got those Northwest travel vouchers!

    But I would love a girls trip sometime too!

    ReplyDelete