Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Our Getaway!

I can be a pretty needy wife. When I want more attention, or quality time with my husband I'm usually not afraid to let him know. And he listens. I have it real, real good. Bentlee has been the absolute best thing that could have ever happened to us, and I could not be happier that she is apart of our family. Being a mom is better than I could have ever imagined, and I am especially blessed with a happy, easy baby and an amazing, helpful husband.

HOWEVER.

Sometimes I really miss that one-on-one time with the hubs. I started hinting for a getaway back in November and when that didn't work, I begged.  Winter has never been as hard for me as it has been this year. After 8 solid weeks of snow and ice and cold, I convinced him that for my sanity and his own good, I needed to go somewhere warm for a couple days with just him. I would have been happy spending a couple nights in Vegas, but taking into consideration meals, etc. we decided that a cruise wouldn't be much more.

We booked it only a couple weeks in advance, and luckily Lee and Maxyne were willing to take the babe, with the help of Amber and Andy. We drove to Vegas where we stayed one night, and then drove the rest of the way to Long Beach where we cruised to Catalina Island and Ensenada, Mexico. It was JUST what I needed. We didn't do excursions, we simply just relaxed by the pool and in the hot tub, played games, and even chilled in our room a little each day. I loved being completely spontaneous and care-free (such as taking a ride down the big slide in the FREEZING cold ocean water), not having an agenda, sleeping in, eating food that I didn't have to cook or clean up, having fresh towels laid out for me every day that I didn't have to wash, and having Kyle to myself ALL day EVERY day. I read a book for the first time since I was pregnant, which was actually one of my highlights (it helped that I read it while lounging out in the sun). While I thought about Bentlee a LOT, I didn't have to change a single diaper, I didn't have to consider nap times or what and when to feed her. Every time I saw a baby my arms ached for her a little. But then I would pass the ice cream machine and I'd feel better. I ate WAY too much food. We each ordered 1-2 appetizers, and at least 2 entrees at dinner. And the rolls were amazing. I won't tell you how many of those we ate. Working some of our calories off was a piece of cake (no pun intended) because the fitness room was surrounded by windows overlooking the ocean. We would get up each morning and go straight up to the track on the lido deck where we would jog laps as dolphins splashed in the distance. Okay, we actually only saw dolphins the first morning. But the rest of the days did not disappoint. Dolphins or no dolphins, I could work out all day long with a view like this...



VEGAS/FIRST DAY ON THE SHIP:

Kyle's pretty good at finding cheap but decent hotels


Pulling away as the sun was setting


We frequented the 24/7 pizza counter every day.
Our 3rd time eating, and this was before the ship left Long Beach





3 comments:

  1. I just realized you were on the exact same cruise as our really good friends. I remember wondering that because you were gone the same days - but the locations match up too! Did you happen to run into a Lincoln and BreAna Palmer? Haha, too bad we didn't figure that out before. So glad you had a nice getaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this - makes me more excited for my Boston trip with Troy! I've been wondering about the difficulty of being away from Selah for 6 days, but what you said makes me feel better :) I love all of your pictures, and I think you look beautiful and happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, I'm convinced. I'm ready to go on a getaway now! It sounds like heaven!

    ReplyDelete